Since the hotter, summer months are upon us and I have very fair skin, I want to be prepared. Before, I didn’t think there was much to sunscreen.
“It protects my skin from being burned,” I thought. But, I was wrong.
Apparently it has been linked to actually causing skin cancer, not preventing it! Isn’t that the whole idea of sunscreen? To prevent your skin from burning which supposedly ’causes’ skin cancer. Interesting…
Never fear though! A solution is upon us!
I found this awesome sunscreen recipe from Wellness Mama. Here are the ingredients, but you can also click on the link to learn more about why sunscreen is actually bad for your skin and how to make this sunscreen.
Natural Homemade Sunscreen Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup almond or olive oil (can infuse with herbs first if desired)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (natural SPF 4)
- 1/4 cup beeswax*
- 2 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide (This is a non-nano version that won’t be absorbed into the skin. Be careful not to inhale the powder). This makes a natural SPF of 20+ or more can be added.)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons Shea Butter (natural SPF 4-5)
- Optional: Essential Oils, Vanilla Extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference
*My note: Technically, beeswax is not vegan. So I would suggest using a vegetable emulsifying wax instead.